10 wishes for the Balearics in 2030
If we imagine what the Balearic Islands will be like in 2030, we visualise marine and coastal habitats with an abundant marine life and healthy fish populations living in a financially prosperous region.
This is our vision for the Balearic Sea in 2030:
- Higher levels of biodiversity in marine and coastal habitats.
- An efficient network of marine protected areas that covers at least 30% of the Balearic Sea, with strict protection for10% ofthe Balearic sea.
- Professional fishermen who make a decent living from their work, while usinglow impact fishing gearand practices.
- Recreational fishermen who enjoy their hobby with a low impact on fish populations.
- Boats and yachts on the coast and out at sea having nearly zero impact on the quality of the water, posidonia meadows or marine fauna.
- Underwater divers and swimmers enjoying high levels of water quality and visibility.
- Beaches and coastal areas without plastics or other types of waste.
- A larger proportion of tourists attracted by the quality of marine and coastal habitats.
- Tourism enterprises that recognise the marine environment as a guarantee of success and stability, and take part in the conservation of this heritage.
- A majority of the local population committed to the conservation of their marine environment.